Today is Workaholics Day!
I thought I should get my post up first thing this morning, although I have already checked all my social sites, email, website stats and done research on what a Workaholic is. Time to write into the blog and then jump into the projects for today. I have a list.
Today is technically a holiday, or could be considered with the 4th of July yesterday and Saturday tomorrow, but nope, I’m here in my office working. I worked a full (7-4) day yesterday too. I have been on very few trips lately…”have to work…” BUT, I am meeting my goals. Yes, I am. I am not ‘working for the man’ I am working for me!
In my research this morning, I found the Wikipedia Definition –A workaholic is a person who is addicted to work. The term generally implies that the person enjoys their work; it can also imply that they simply feel compelled to do it. There is no generally accepted medical definition of such a condition, although some forms of stress, obsessive-compulsive personality disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder can be work-related. Workaholism is not the same as working hard. Although the term workaholic usually has a negative connotation, it is sometimes used by people wishing to express their devotion to one’s career in positive terms. The “work” in question is usually associated with a paying job, but it may also refer to independent pursuits such as sports, music and art. A workaholic in the negative sense is popularly characterized by a neglect of family and other social relations. Similarly, people considered to be workaholics tend to lose track of time – voluntarily or involuntarily. For example, subjects might proclaim that they will spend a certain amount of time (e.g. 30 minutes) on their work, while those “30 minutes” ultimately become hours.
Oops! I am one! I have always claimed to be, never denied it. But this pretty much hits home. Are you?
I knew after years of working ‘for the man’ that I wanted to have my own business, my own structure. If I am going to work like this, I am going to work for myself. And so I have. 4 years now. I had to start from scratch, understand what I wanted to do; learn and show the market that I was capable; restructure what I wanted to do again; learn and continue to focus. I am in a great spot right now, I love my job and can see the whole picture coming together.
Am I making money? Nope. Even the auditor at the IRS looked at me square in the eye and asked how I lived. I looked him right back and said “Very carefully!” Some decisions haven’t been made for monetary gains, some have been made for business gains or learning lessons. I don’t regret anything, but it is also time to change that tide.
I have started my road to recovery. I recognize that I am done working like this! 🙂 I have set up structure and hardly ever work through the night anymore. I now work from 6or7am to 6or7pm instead of until 1or2am. Has my work faltered…um, I don’t get as much done as I used to and there are a few segments of production that don’t happen as often. But I am better off….yes, I am!!
What have I been working on lately that has taken my attention?
- Bower Media is always the core working with different clients like Raceline Wheels, W.E. Rock and others.
- We just launched a brand new version of the Race Team Store last month. (Which is awesome btw)
- I started a new program in January that has been a huge success and launched its very own website in June: Shirt & Swag Club.
- The I’m Not Just a Girl Clothing, Jewelry & Gift line is doing well and we released a new shirt in March at the 3 year anniversary mark, plus I got this website going and am striving to post everyday.
- I started a new segment to my business that includes working with companies, racers, events and charities on their Tshirt production and Swag / Corporate Gifts. These will be visible on the Race Team Store soon.
- I still post industry information onto UTV Weekly, Connected Motorsports Media and will be launching a new information site in September. (watch for this…fully out of the box thinking!)
- My Month of Cause was a great series that I started. I got an awesome website going for it and then went on a 2 week work trip that broke my routine. I have on my goals to start posting there again daily.
- I am working on a new website that will release this month (July)…sorry, you’ll just have to wait and see, but I will tease you with it has to do with all my Bower Media pictures.
- And then there is the Social Sites. OMG there is a lot going on out there! All I can ask is that you go to BowerMedia.com/follow and start clicking away. I post different information on different sites, so they are not all the same in your newsfeed…sometimes, but not always.
- I work everyday at learning something new about social media, SEO and websites to better myself and those that I am working with.
- I am also going to start being more consistant on my newsletters. If you are not receiving the periodic blast, please sign up…I think you will like them!! sign up
- I realized that there was a lot going on, so I made a landing page. If you want to see it all in one place, you can go to CharleneBower.com
I got Dreams. I can do this! I don’t work, just to find something to do anymore. I work to accomplish a much bigger goal.
I leave you with this thought and something that I remind myself daily:
Never Get So Busy Making a Living That You Forget to Make a Life
I’ve become a fan of infographics…check out this one…. (Click to make bigger)